Reminder entries for the Timberscombe Show should be in by 15th August. Entries to Wendy Cook at Blackball House, Holes Square, Timberscombe or entries can be left at Timberscombe Post Office. Spare entry forms are available from the Post Office.
We have been advised by a Minehead Neighbourhood Watch Coordinator, that a flyer has been received offering to carry out works on their property. Remember do not feel under any obligation to agree to works and it is your decision and your right to say no. If a caller visits and you are not interested, do not answer the door.
There are a few things that you should be wary of before allowing anyone into your home or garden.
1. Did they put a leaflet through your door claiming to offer discounts for OAPs?
2. Do they offer 20 / 30 / 40 % off for calling within a particular time scale of receiving your leaflet?
3. Do they offer work and then claim to offer a host of other services seemingly unrelated?
4. Does it look like a professionally printed leaflet?
5. If you speak to an operator, do not be bullied into committing to their services or an appointment.
6. If they are in your home, phone a friend and ask them to come round.
7. You can ask them to leave at any point during their sales pitch.
These are just a few points to look out for, but the best rule to go by is that if you require any work, you should find the person yourself or go by the recommendation of others that you trust.
There are plenty of websites that can steer you in the right direction to find the right company.
And of course, there are some genuine, honest companies so make an informed decision, but remember:
“If you’re not sure, don’t open the door”